On Sept 27, 2017, the YusApuY Executive Board approved the final version of the first YusApuY Elections Policy. In order to ensure that this policy met the needs of our membership the board has taken the following steps:
- Established a working group to develop the policy
- Surveyed our membership to ensure their feedback was incorporated into the policy
- Seconded the chair of the Constitution and Policy committee, Breanne Whitwell, into the union office for two weeks to work solely on policy issues
- Contracted with a leading expert on union governance to ensure the policy was in line with established best practices
- Had the policy vetted by our union legal counsel to ensure legal compliance
This policy has been designed with the aim of being easy to understand so that all parties involved in the election are aware of their rights and obligations in the process.
Unions are fundamentally democratic organizations and we believe this policy reaffirms YusApuY’s commitment to ensuring that those democratic principles are upheld.
Since 2017 the policy has been reviewed and updated annually as approved by the YusApuY Executive Board.